There is something special about miniature things that we love and cannot ignore. Miniature roses definitely fall into that category. Their addition to gardens adds to the aesthetics and makes them look even more beautiful. Apart from that, there are many benefits to planting, growing and caring for them.
There are varieties of miniature roses one can choose from. Don’t be surprised if you come across an unusual looking coloured rose, as the variety is just too wide. They are also not fussy as they are very easy to look after. They require only good pruning, plenty of water, and well-draining soil and sunlight. As they are small in size, they can be grown in almost all places like window boxes, containers, or hanging baskets.
Keep reading to learn more about the characteristics of miniature roses and also about the different varieties of roses you can buy.
What are miniature roses?
Miniature roses are small varieties of larger form roses. They are also known as spray roses or simply miniature roses. They are available in almost all colours one can think of. Many species of miniature roses have a similar flower shape as their bigger flower counterparts, along with a high centre and a lot of petals.
What makes miniature roses so popular?
It’s just aesthetically pleasing to look at a bunch of miniature roses. They are a popular choice for both outdoor container planting as well as indoor growing. They are avid bloomers if they are provided with the right growing conditions. At the same time, they are resistant to various diseases and are devoid of thorns, which makes them safe in front of children.
The History of Miniature Roses
There have been a lot of speculations about the origin of the miniature roses, and we will never know where they have come from or how they really come about. Many still say that they have descended from a dwarf-sized Chinese rose hundreds of years ago, which were sold in the Asian and European markets as far back as the 18th century.
Caring For Mini Rose Bushes
- Like most rose varieties, Miniature roses require direct sunlight and consistent moisture.
- If we plan to grow them indoors, then we have to expose the plant to nearly four hours of sunlight each day. We have to periodically rotate the plant towards sunlight every week so that all of its leaves be benefitted equally.
- For outdoors, miniature roses enjoy sunny spots with well-drainage soil.
- Miniature roses require an ideal daytime temperature of about 21C and a nighttime temperature of 15C. They are very much resistant to harsh cold weather conditions but keep them away from strong winds and intense artificial heat.
- The soil should be kept moist and shouldn’t be drenched with excessive water as it will increase the possibility of root rot. You can treat the ground with organic plant food to increase the fertility of the soil.
- Apart from providing adequate soil and water, we should inspect the ground for further mites and diseases. If we come across a plant with a drastic change in its appearance, it may indicate the presence of a pest, in which case we have to treat it with a suitable product.
Pruning Miniature Rose Bushes
For pruning, we have to use shears that are clean and have been sterilised. The protocols for pruning miniature roses are the same as that of more oversized roses. During the summer blooming time, they need to be deadheaded by cutting the buds off at an angle of 45 degrees beneath the second stem node.
We have to prune them thoroughly during early spring to allow for new growth.
How To Grow Mini Rose
Miniature roses can be grown in various places, from indoors, in containers or outdoors on the ground. Each method of growing the roses requires slightly different growing conditions.
Indoor Miniature Roses
The roses that are grown indoors are grown to gift to someone on special occasions. However, it requires a lot of special attention, and they don’t thrive much indoors unless they are carefully looked after. We have to keep them at the spot where they will get direct sunlight for about four to 5 hours per day.
Outdoor Miniature Roses in containers
The first step to growing it in containers is choosing the correct container. We have to make sure that the container is neither too large nor too small. The containers should have a 10 to 12 inches depth with several holes at the bottom for drainage. Make sure to put gravel at the base before placing the soil, as it will provide consistency and equal distribution of water.
Growing Miniature Roses in the Garden
This is the easiest way to grow these types of roses. First, we have to dig a hole as deep as the container in which the plant arrives. But you have to make sure the hole’s circumference must be twice as wide. We have to select an area with a lot of sunlight and a sound drainage system as well.
Miniature Roses are beautiful, versatile, and hardy and come in various shapes, sizes, and colours. Their small size means that you can grow them even if you don’t have a garden. With the right amount of love and care, it will gift you with tiny blossoms for years to come.