When you are willing to buy a washing machine, you need to get some knowledge beforehand so that you could be the best washing for you. First of all, you need to know about different types of washing machines so that you can decide which one is best for you.
We have stated their advantages as well as disadvantages of them for better understanding. Thereafter, you have to know about the dimensions of the washing machine as well as the size that suit your needs.
Types of Washing Machine
Here are the different types of washing machines that you should be aware of.
In a semi-automatic washing machine, there are limited automatic features. This type of machine will let you do some parts normally. These include filling the water in the tub or moving the washed clothes into the tub for drying. A semi-automatic washing machine always comes in a top-loading design.
As the name indicates, a fully automatic washing machine has a completely automatic operation. You can use it with the touch of a button. Equipped with a single tub, it can wash, rinse and dry your clothes. Fully automatic washing machines can be either in a top-loading or front-loading design. Even the features and programs can vary according to the band and type of model.
Top load washing machines let you load from the top. It can be both semi-automatic as well as fully automatic washing machines. This type of machine serves great for people who don’t prefer to bend down. A fully automatic washing machine with a top load design helps to offer better space efficiency.
Types of Top Load Washing Machines
1) Traditional Agitator Washers
The traditional agitator washer comes with a central rod for moving the clothes around. It helps to improve the cleaning performance. One of the best things about them is that they offer faster wash cycles and are less expensive. Even the cleaning result is very impressive.
However, these types of washers have limited carrying capacity. They are often harsh to the fabric and require more water. Agitator washers will let you stoop down for putting the clothes inside. You will have to look carefully if you miss any laundry even in a running cycle.
2) Impeller or High-Efficiency Washers
In an impeller washer, there is no agitator. It comes with a shallow impeller that moves the water alongside the drum. Compared to agitator washers, they also have high storage capacity and are gentle on the clothes.
The machine offers better efficiency and can have most of the features of front-load washers. You can find one that can come with load sensors that help to determine the water level and reduce the drying time.
2. Front Load Washing Machines
A front-loading washing machine lets you load from the front side. It always comes in a fully automatic design. With a front-loading washing machine, there will be better results compared to a top-loading design. They also deliver efficient performance and consume less water.
Types of Front Load Washing Machines
Standard Front Loading Washing Machines
Standard washers have modern features for better performance and efficiency. It can make over 1200 RPM spins for removing moisture effectively. This makes sure there will be a quick drying process. You can even stack it with a dryer and save your laundry space.
There can be many other features like water adjustment systems and other solutions for energy efficiency. However, they tend to be more expensive than their top-loading counterparts.
Specialty washers come in an innovative design and feature unique dryers and washers. These types of machines offer distinct advantages as you can wash the clothes on an intense cycle or choose from a gentle cycle. Some can also come with dual washer and dryer functions.
You can find the one that can have extra space that allows use as a storage drawer. There are pedestal washers that enable removal or installation after the main washer installation.
With a compact washer, you will be able to save space. It serves perfect for homes with limited space. Despite having a width of just 2 feet, compact washers have all the features of a fully automatic washing machine. They come with electric dryers and you can even stack the dryer and washer for saving space.
Top vs. Front Washing Machines
Both top and front loading washing machines come with advantages and limitations.
Advantages of top-loading washing machines
- It has a simple control panel for easy operation.
- The compact design makes it fit in small spaces
- Allows adding laundry in the middle of the wash cycle.
- It has shorter wash cycles.
- Compared to front-loading models, it makes less vibration.
- It is available at an affordable value.
Disadvantages of top-loading washing machines
- It has a smaller capacity.
- The cleaning performance is not that effective.
- The drying time can be longer.
- It does not offer better efficiency and uses more electricity and water.
Advantages of front loading washing machines
- Better energy efficiency and less water consumption.
- Ability to offer efficient drying.
- Large capacity.
- Superior cleaning performance.
- Option to choose from different wash cycles.
Disadvantages of front loading washing machines
- There can be more vibration during the spin cycle.
- It can lead to foulness by trapping the water inside.
- The wash cycles tend to be longer.
- They are usually more expensive
2. Washing Machine Dimensions
Although the dimensions of a washing machine differ according to the model, you will find the exact details on the product page. We shall now look into the standard dimensions of washing machines. This is important to know that it has to fit into your available space.
- Standard washing machine height: A front-loading washing machine comes with a standard height of 85 cm. For the top-loading model, it is 90 cm. You must measure the height of the space carefully before buying a washing machine.
- Standard washing machine width: Top-loading models have a width of 40 cm and front-loading machines come with a standard width of 60 cm. With reduced width of 40 cm, top-loading models occupy less space. However, it does mean that it has less drum capacity. On average, top-loading washers have a capacity of 7 kg which can be great for up to two people.
- Standard washing machine depth: The standard depth of a front-loading washer is up to 70 cm including protrusions. It is up to 10 cm deeper than a top-loading machine which is 60 cm. You must consider the depth carefully as the front-loading model requires more space for opening the drum door.
3. Sizes of Washing Machines
Washing machine sizes vary widely to satisfy the requirements of the users. You will have to consider various factors including family size, space availability, and your lifestyle.
5 Kg Washing Machine
The ideal capacity for a 5 kg washing machine is 25 t-shirts. While using it for normal washing, it can accommodate two shirts and two pairs of adult jeans. When it comes to household items, you can wash two small towels, two dish towels, a bedsheet, and two pillowcases at a time.
7 Kg Washing Machine
Although the recommended capacity for a 7 kg washing machine is 35 T-shirts, the normal usage allows you to add two pairs of adult jeans, a pair of children’s jeans, and three t-shirts. For household items, you can use two bedsheets, two pillowcases, three small towels, and three dish towels.
8 Kg Washing Machine
The general capacity of an 8 kg washing machine is 40 t-shirts. The normal use for household items is two bedsheets, three pillowcases, four small towels, and four dishcloths. For clothes, it is three pairs of adult jeans and three shirts.
10 Kg Washing Machine
What a 10 kg washing machine can accommodate is 50 T-shirts. The normal usage for cloth is three pairs of adult jeans and four shirts. Again for household items, it is three bedsheets, three small towels, four dishcloths, and six pillowcases.
To sum it up for you, you have to first select the type of washing machine and the fully-automatic one is the best unless you are tight on your budget. You have to select top or front loading based on their merits.
Make sure you have the available space to fit a washing machine. Most importantly, you have to get the right size of washing machine so that it meets you washing requirements perfectly.